Wednesday, November 11, 2015

#Tattedup

I was going to make my first "real" post a sort of "about me" type thing, because I figured that's what I'm probably supposed to do. However, I kind of hate writing those and have therefore decided to share about myself in a roundabout way. I'm going to share my tattoo story. 

I decided when I was about 13 that I really wanted a tattoo when I got older. It wasn't a thought I shared with a lot of people, just one of those fleeting what-if scenarios. But the thought was there. My mom has two tattoos and my dad is dead set against them for religious reasons (he likes to throw in that he also just thinks they are tacky and pointless), but I have always had an interest. I'm not exactly an artist -- I would give that title to my brother, who is studying art -- but I have a great appreciation for art. Tattoos, to me, are such a great artistic expression of one's self. I know this is also pretty cliche and cheesy so far, but bear with me.

When I was 16 I pretty much decided on what I would one day permanently mark my body with.
Psalm 139:14 says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well." (NIV).

(This is right after so that's why it's cray cray red. Also, it wasn't as painful as everyone thinks it looks.)

When I was 16 I decided to give my life over to the Lord, a permanent change to my spiritual body. 

See, my tattoo story and my salvation experience kind of go hand in hand.
I was raised in church, Sunday school, VBS, and going to a Christian school, but I was separated from God until I turned 16. I don't intend to turn this blog into a strictly Christian blog; I don't know enough for that and I have to many non-religious things to rant about. However, these seemingly random experiences kind of define who I am.
The reason I chose that verse, the reason I say these acts go together, is because I struggled with self worth for years. When I was around the age of 13 I had some pretty crappy people in my life. I was still learning to deal with my parents' divorce while trying to find my place in the social world. I had "best friends" that treated me like I was a waste of their time, who told others that I was annoying. I had friends that used me, yet weren't there when I most needed them. I had an adult step into my life that made me miserable with mostly verbal comments, snide remarks, and other petty actions. Basically, I had people that tore me down when I most needed a helping hand. I didn't realize how badly this affected me. I didn't know how little I thought of myself -- until I started to make changes.
I had an amazing friend step into my life. She was smart, kind, and had absolutely no interest in typical teenage drama. I had some family members that made it known they knew I was struggling and that they were there for me no matter what. Honestly, I think I got so tired of the bull crap that I did away with it all until I found the stuff that actually made me happy.

Fast forward a few years and I'm 16. I know who God is but I have no relationship with Him, but I decided to go to a missions conference because that friend I mentioned earlier was going. I'm not going to go into great detail, but basically one of the speakers really said what I needed to hear (that might be another post for another day), and I realized there that the only thing that had been keeping me from having that relationship with Christ was my false thoughts of not being someone God would save. He already offered me salvation, 2,000 years ago when He died on a cross, and I was the one refusing. Two weeks after the conference I was saved while at a revival meeting one night, but I didn't tell any one for a year.

When I started this post, I didn't intend to share any of my salvation experience, but that's part of the back story so there you go. My tattoo is "fearfully and wonderfully made" because it has and continues to serve as a constant reminder of who I am. I never really had any hesitations about getting a tattoo, other than knowing my father was dead set against it, but I did do a lot of research to be confident in my decision (if you are interested on knowing where I stand from a biblical view this video sums it up) and to make sure I was choosing the right shop for myself.  I found Safe House Tattoo which is based in Nashville (my hometown), and I loved all their artist work. Actually, it was their artists' bios, along with their portfolios, that sold me on this shop. I sent them an email, got hooked up with Zane Pendergast, and booked the appointment for Thanksgiving Eve. I have had no regrets and could honestly not be more pleased with how it turned out two years down the line.

 I love tattoos, and I have plans for more. I love the shop I chose, and I would love to use them again when I'm all saved up. And, I love my God, and I'm excited to see how my little expression of what He has done for me can maybe be used by Him one day.
I know this isn't your typical introduction to a person. This isn't how I expected this to turn out, but it's my story, my passions, and I hope someone out there can enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment