Thursday, January 28, 2016

#camplife

This past summer I did something that was completely out of my comfort zone. It was simultaneously one of the most challenging and one of the most rewarding things I have ever experienced. This past summer I worked as a camp counselor.

I don't know what your experience with summer camp has been, but mine was pretty much limited to watching "The Parent Trap" when I was younger. I literally had no clue what to expect. The camp is multiple states away from where I live, and I only knew one other person in the beginning. There were days where I wanted to quit. I cried on a weekly basis. I was sick with bronchitis for about 6 of the 9 weeks. A horse stepped on my foot the first day of the first week. It was emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually exhausting. But, I wouldn't change the experience for anything. As difficult and challenging as it could be, it was so rewarding, exciting, uplifting, gratifying, and educational. I loved it, and I can't wait to return to camp next summer.

I officially agreed a couple weeks ago to return to my camp in June, and I'm already getting so pumped. So I figured, since it's on my mind anyways, I might as well share some of the things I learned this past summer.

Things I learned as a Camp Counselor:

  1. How to make a One Match Fire (yes this deserves to be capitalized).
  2. A camp song for almost every occasion, and these can never be too loud when you are around a fire.
  3. Patience in times of exhaustion. I was a co-counselor for typically 6-8 girls ages 9-12.
  4. Obedience. This was the theme of our cabin.
  5. The intelligence of children. I have worked with preschoolers before, and I know kids are smarter than what we typically give them credit for, but they also understand way more about life than we are often willing to believe.
  6. The key to a perfect tin foil dinner. (Hint: it's lots of butter.)
  7. How to follow God's direction. I hadn't originally planned on being a camp counselor, and I fully believe it was a God thing I ended up there.
  8. How to be brave in times you feel scared, strong in times you feel weak, calm in moments you feel anxious, and joyous in times you feel downtrodden.
  9. The smallest actions can change even the most difficult child's attitudes (at least for a bit).
  10. We serve a super big God. Like I'm talking crazy big. Being in His creation day after day, meeting His children week after week, and hearing the stories of what He is doing and has done in countless lives just changed me in ways I had not anticipated or could have ever prepared for. It was amazing, and awe-inspiring, and I can not wait for smores, horses, and the fellowship (and friendships!!!) that come with camp!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment