Thursday, August 6, 2020

Rest

Rest


I often don’t sleep well. I have poor sleeping habits and a weird schedule, and so my sleep suffers. I’m pretty much stay tired. My counselor used to joking tell me that sometimes the most biblical thing you can do is take a nap, and I believe it.


Even God rested.  “So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.” Genesis 2:3


I don’t know what you do for a living, but I know what I do is much less then create a whole world... and yet I often feel like one day off (or more) isn’t enough. Over the past year I’ve been learning that I think a big part of that is that I’m not resting well.


Biblical rest isn’t just sleep. Biblical rest is sitting in quiet before the Lord (Exodus 33:14). Biblical rest is surrender (Matthew 11:28-30). It’s prayer and meditation (Mark 6:31). Biblical rest is laying down your burdens, it’s pausing work, it’s letting the Lord fill you back up.


True rest is a form of surrender. It’s a form of worship. It’s a way for us to cast aside worries and distractions and be with our Creator. True rest restores and lack of biblical rest can lead us astray (Hebrews 4:11).


So make time to rest my sister. Be still before the Lord. Allow Him to lead you beside the still waters and calm your soul, so that in rest you may better know your Creator. 


 

Psalm 23:2-3

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters. 

He restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness

for his name's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment