Friday, August 7, 2020

Comfort in Anxiety

“ What do you do to stop feeling anxious?” My coworker asked me. What do I do? The tension in my shoulders, knot in my stomach, and pounding heart reminded me the answer was currently “not much”. 


“I’m not very good at stopping.” Was my first response. I’m sure you’ve heard it said before that the Bible instructs us “do not be afraid” 365 times. It’s the most often given instruction in the Bible. 


If you are anything like me though... knowing I shouldn’t be afraid or anxious doesn’t just take those feelings away. Thankfully, the Bible doesn’t just tell us not to be afraid, but it also tells us what to do in those moments as well. 1 Peter 5:7 instructs us to cast our anxieties on Him. In Philippians 4:6-7 Paul tells us “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”


Sis, let me tell you something. Anxiety has ruled some part of my life for years! I have often been a slave to my worries. But, Psalm 55 tells us to cast our care upon the Lord (PRAY) and He will sustain us (vs 22).


“I try to pray. Sometimes I write my prayers out. And I try to remember all the ways God has been steadfast in the past.” That was the rest of my answer.


I still get anxious. Tonight I’m still praying through my current anxieties, but it’s gotten easier. My shoulders have loosened a bit and the boulder in my stomach is a bit more pebble shaped at the moment (still uncomfortable but much more livable). 

So my encouragement to you is this, take your anxieties to the Lord in prayer. The full verse of 1 Peter 5:7 says “casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” He wants you to approach Him with your fears. He cares deeply for you. You don’t have to sit in your anxiety any longer. You don’t have to carry that boulder alone.


Psalm 23:4 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment