Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Steadfast Love

Confession: I’m a mess of a person. And not the cute mess you often see in movies that’s endearing and whimsical. The type that’s lead others to make such comments as “she’s not a good influence”. Yeah... that type of a mess.


See, I’ve made some mistakes. I lived in a pretty big open rebellion towards the Lord for a bit a few years back. I fully embraced what the world had to offer and in anger and bitterness I turned my back on the Lord. 


This happened shortly after my earthly father passed away. It’s hard to admit anger at a dead person, but I think I was pretty mad at my dad for leaving. I was also pretty mad at God. I felt alone and betrayed and instead of running towards the Lord I ran away.


Deuteronomy 31:6 says “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” 


These were the words Moses told Israel as they prepared to cross the Jordan. Moses wasn’t to go with them, but he knew the Lord would. The same God that had freed them from Egypt, the same God that had gone before them for 40 years, He is the same God that would go before them into the promised land. He was the same God that my dad pointed me towards and the same God that was there after he left. When I realized that by diving head first away from God I was going deeper into loneliness and pain I desperately began to swim back.


He will not leave you or forsake you! When I turned my back on the Lord, do you know where He was? Right where He had been and will always be.


In Lamentations we are told, 


The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (3:22-23)


I was the prodigal son. I’ve been lost and found. The Lord waits with open arms to bring us back to life, and hallelujah what a God!( Luke 15:11-31)

No comments:

Post a Comment